Not long after I started quilting, I got it in my head that I needed to make a queen sized quilt for our bed. I blame the book Little Bits Quilting Bee - every single quilt in this book is beautiful and so, so tempting. Of course, the pattern I liked the most was also one of the most complicated, the Garnets and Gold pattern (this is the book's photograph):
Looks SUPER easy, right? I (obviously somewhat naively) thought so! I really love the colors that Kathreen used in her book, but my husband is more of a neutrals kinda guy, and he preferred something a little less bright. As he also sleeps in the bed, I decided on a three color, or rather three pattern, scheme. This is my version:
Some close ups of the blocks:
It wasn't so much that the pattern itself is difficult, but I definitely underestimated the amount of cutting involved (during this process I decided I needed a cutting machine as soon as possible). Because I was a bit sloppy during the cutting process, I made piecing a little more difficult on myself. As a result, the quilt top is...well, slightly crooked. I then made things even MORE tough by choosing a way too thick fabric for the backing - it was more like canvas, and it made the quilt really thick. My machine was not happy with me, so I just spent a few days picking out stitches and re-basting with a much lighter cotton. Obviously, I haven't started the quilting round two...I think I need a good night's sleep first :P. Despite the missteps, I'm happy with how the top came out, and proud of myself for sticking with it!
Here's one more shot, just to show how beautiful it's been around our house lately (we're having a sudden heat wave in Seattle, something we are definitely NOT used to).
Wish me luck on my quilting in the days to come!