New Dog Bed

I am an admitted pet spoiler, which is why our dog has two different beds in our house. One of them had seen better days, though:

Image

Gross, right? It started out really cute, but a year of doggy wear and tear has made it pretty nasty.

It seriously needed fixing, but since Zoey is (obviously) really hard on her beds, I wasn't going to spend a whole bunch on it. Enter another extra duvet cover we had laying around:

Image

And since I didn't care for the color (the reason it was laying around not being used in the first place), I also got out some dye.

ImageI really enjoy dying things, mostly because you never really know what color you're going to get unless you're starting out with just white cotton. While this would drive a lot of people crazy, I like the surprise of it. In this case, I started with a pale green 100% cotton, so I figured something in the blue family would turn out well. We share our washing machine with the rest of our community, so that method was out, which left the stovetop.

Image

I used a giant pot that my husband long ago sacrificed for the greater good, but I've also had success with 5 gallon buckets. I would not suggest dying anything in a sink or bathtub, unless you own your house and nobody cares if it's permanently blue!

Once it was dyed, I rinsed it really well, then washed and dried it. It came out a very pretty periwinkle blue, and after stitching up the three sides, I had an easy slipcover.

Image

I had cut the two pieces out so that the button closure from the original duvet was preserved, so it will be easy to take off and wash (I learned from my mistake with the last one!).

ImageThe cover is a bit big, but I'll probably need to add in another piece of foam here pretty soon, so I think it will work out. And this project is actually for Zoey, for a change!

ImageShe wasted no time zonking out on it, and is now happily snoring away :P.

Image