When we bought our new couch, it came with new pillows. Unfortunately, they were really ugly.
Black is not my favorite, particularly when we have a blonde dog who gets hair everywhere :P. The covers were also made of something that felt like velvet, but wasn't. Needless to say, they had to go.
I decided to use the blanket that I finished a few weeks ago as a base for the colors, especially since I had this skirt that no longer fit, but had a lining that was the perfect color.
After I'd taken it apart, I had a piece of fabric that was the perfect color and size.
The label says that the fabric something called acetate, which I don't imagine is easy to wash, but the pillows are going to live on the couch and hopefully won't need that much cleaning. For the front, I decided on a pretty eyelet fabric that I picked up at Goodwill ($6 for 6 yards!), backed by lavender fabric from an old sheet. You can't really tell from the pictures, but the eyelet is a very light purple.
I was going to make both pillows in the eyelet, but after I finished the first one, I decided it was kind of fussy, and was actually going to scrap it altogether, but my husband really liked it. So, I decided to just do different fabric. I picked up a fat quarter of a purple Moda fabric; the measurements were exactly right for the pillow, and I used more of the same acetate lining for the back. Both pillows were finished by hand sewing the fourth edge. They won't be removable, but I'm not super concerned with that at this point.
The fabrics coordinate really well with both the new couch and the blanket I made.
I think they compliment each other without making our living room look like an eggplant exploded, and the fabrics themselves look really good together.