Finished project - Yellow and Grey Baby Blanket

This one was a commission, and the request was for yellow and grey chevrons. Now, I love me some chevrons, but when I laid it out, it got a little Charlie Brown here in the sewing room - not the look I was going for. So, I modified it a bit and came up with this design:

ImageStill chevrons, just tweaked a bit. The piecing is just triangles, but I used my new Big Shot cutting machine and was much happier with my straight lines and corners.

I have a hard time working with grey; it's not a color I choose for myself, when it comes down to it, and so I have a difficult time seeing where it works and where it doesn't. It presented a bit of a challenge and I spent about an hour debating fabrics, but I went with my instincts and chose a dark to light color scheme. I think it provides a lot of visual interest, and is a nice foil for the cute polka dot yellow fabric. For the back I used a piece of flannel that had a smaller herringbone print on it already,  to tie it into the front:

Image

It's a really sturdy but soft blend that I think will wear well. I took the opportunity to take my new walking foot guide for a spin to lay out a square pattern:

Image

I'm fairly happy with the results, although I think I need to upgrade my walking foot. It did the job, though, and I loved how easy the guide is to adjust. For the binding, I just used bias tape. I'm really into white binding these days; it just looks really clean and finishes the pattern off nicely.

Image

People seem to be digging the color combo - I've had several offers to take it off my hands :P. It's all boxed up and winging it's way to California though, to be enjoyed by a brand new baby boy :).