It took me a lot longer than I was planning, but the braided t-shirt rug is finally finished!
I must admit that I cheated on the finishing - I had it all sewn together but when I laid it on the floor, it wouldn't lay flat! I was so frustrated that I put it away for a week or so to give my fingers (and my mind) a rest. Then, I decided to rip out the stitches and try holding it together with some liquid stitch. It didn't work so well when I tried the liquid stitch in between the coils, so I laid some fabric on the floor and attached the yarn to that instead. The fabric backing did the trick and was a lot quicker than sewing, as you might imagine. Now, obviously this is not a forever and ever solution - after a few washings the liquid stitch does tend to fall out. I think at some point I'll go over the coils with my sewing machine to make it more permanent, but the machine is a little occupied with our quilt right at the moment (more to come on that, hopefully next week)! It will work for right now, as rugs don't tend to get washed as much.
The kitchen and the bathroom are the only rooms in our new house that don't have carpet, so my choices on where to put it were somewhat limited (something I should really think about before starting these things...). The bathroom is currently housing the baby chicks, who are now about a week and a half and making a bit of a mess. I didn't want to risk their chickie dust, not to mention the floor getting wet all the time, so into the kitchen it went!
It looks pretty good it there, I think (side note on the blue towels: they were made for us as a wedding gift from my husband's grandmother, who knits and weaves and is generally awesome), and it's a nice cushy rug for a standing at the sink to do dishes. And, of course, our resident rug approver had to try it out:
Pretty sure she likes it - and she even color coordinated her bandana :P.