Lamp Shade Update

First off, I apologize for the light postings lately. I started a medication recently that has me feeling under the weather, so my posts will probably be more like once a week than twice a week for a little bit while my body adjusts. Thanks for the patience! So, onto today's post! As you know, we moved recently, and my poor bedside lamp did not make it through all that well:

Image

Sad, right? I've been meaning to get to fixing it, but hadn't had the time until this last weekend (hey, three months is better than my average to get to things lately :P). To start out, I took out the metal tops and bottom that keep the shade in shape, and set those aside. The torn up fabric outer layer came right off, leaving just the plastic lining.

Image

To replace said lining, I just used a piece of fabric that was leftover from our quilt (the polka dots, since more green would have been overwhelming).

Image

I cut it so that it was about a half inch wider than the plastic lining, thinking that I would hot glue it.

Image

And then, folks, I lost my marbles a little bit, and decided to actually sew the fabric to the liner. I know.

Image

The good news is that my machine (and I) survived, and it actually worked pretty well.

Image

Once that was done, I whip stitched the back seam to close the circle. The top ring was a little bit of a challenge, so I ended up putting in what amounted to some basting stitches to keep it in place, then hot glueing all the way around to make sure it stayed. I left the bottom ring out; it keeps it's shape without it, and I'm planning to reuse it for a future project :P.

Image

IMG_2993

It turned out really nice, and looks great on my nightstand (please ignore the masking tape; we have a weird second door in this room and it was letting in drafts, so we improvised).

Image

Image

I think it also matches the quilt without overwhelming the space. Now I just have to convince my husband to let me update his lampshade...