A little while ago, I joined the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild and signed up for a couple of challenges. One of them is nation wide (the Riley Blake Basics Challenge, which I will have more on later) and the second is just for our guild. It's called the Binary Quilt Challenge, and the rules are pretty basic. The quilt has to be only be two colors, but you can use any value of each color, and one of the colors must be predominantly prints (the prints must "read" as that specific color). From the very beginning, I had an idea to use all the scraps that I had leftover from the grays on the Hexie quilt. I have a lot of scraps from that one, most of them long strings a half inch to about two inches across. I started sewing strings of grays together and eventually had a nice big piece of grayscale.
This part of the project was super easy and almost meditative; it was just straight sewing without having to worry about even points or piecing. Each string was uneven to begin with, so I knew going in that the blocks would be a bit crooked (in a good way, though!). Then, I cut the sewn strings into six inch blocks and pieced those with some gray solids I had laying around.
Now, when I put these together, I kind of forgot about needing to make most of them prints, so I may need to redo this part (maybe any MQG buddies I have can weigh in on whether or not I need to change it?). I do like the contrast between dark and light, though, so if I end up needing to replace it with a print, I think I'll still keep it dark. You might be wondering if I also forgot that it needs to be two colors, but I didn't, I promise. The second color I chose is blue, and it's coming into the quilt in the form of some raindrops.
These will be appliquéd on after I quilt the gray, and I think I'm going to leave them unquilted for more contrast. I made them by stitching some interfacing onto the blue fabric, then cutting the interfacing and turning them inside out, like so (this is a good article if you're interested in appliqué techniques):
I haven't decided on the final layout of the rain drops (I also haven't made them all...), but I think it'll look something like this:
This is my first quilt just for the sake of art; all my other ones have been functional, so I'm excited to finally hang it up and hear people's thoughts!