The final tally was about 1500 hexagons, 4 spools of thread, and a million hours of sewing, but it was so worth it! It's a mix of different fabrics from different companies, but there's a whole lot of Michael Miller and Robert Kaufman in there. I'm really happy with the overall pattern (which was only half me; Mike and Aliya picked out the arrangement of the hexies), but I also love looking at the individual fabrics. As you can see, I used a lot of Just My Type.
I hand stitched the hexies together, and then quilted them with a decorative loop stitch. I wanted to reinforce the hand stitching so it would hold up to every day use, and the loops add a nice texture. I was asked to make it into a duvet cover instead of a traditional quilt, so I used a yellow and white striped fabric for both the duvet part and the binding. It turned out a bit heavier than I would have liked, but it had a lot more pieces than I normally use, and a lot more thread, so there wasn't much I could do to avoid it, and it ended up with a nice drape anyway.
I really like that it can be a duvet cover, but also looks nice just by itself, so it can still be used when it gets hot around here (which, admittedly, is really only for about a month in Seattle, but still).
This quilt was a lot of work, but I learned so much while I was working on it (main takeaway: you will need more hexies than you think!), and it's already getting tons of love from it's new owners :). I'll definitely make another one...although I think I'll stick with baby sizes for a while!
Linking up this week with I Quilt Thursdays over at Pretty Bobbins!