I recently had a bit of a quilting disaster (more about that on a later post) that necessitated dismantling the quilt and ditching the top and batting. It was fairly traumatizing, but the backing was still good, and happened to be one of my favorite fabrics, Letterpress by Michael Miller. I decided to make lemonade by turning into an easy summer dress, and I'm pretty happy with the result:
I basically sewed it in the style of a pillowcase dress; I made one big square of fabric that was sewn on all sides but one, then used an existing dress that I knew fit well to trace the lines for the head and arm holes. Once I'd cut those out, I just hemmed each raw edge and, since it gaped a bit, ran some elastic through all except the bottom.
It turned into a really blousy, breezy summer dress, but still fits great where it needs to (elastic is a miracle). It was absolutely perfect for our recent 90 degree heat, and since it's just plain cotton, is very easily washed and thrown in the dryer. It also looks a bit like a swing dress, which I've been noticing making a comeback, so I'm kind of accidentally on trend, too.
For dinner with friends, I dressed it up and made it a bit more form fitting with a cute green belt.
I don't have a lot of neutrals in my wardrobe (unless you consider pink a neutral...), so it's kind of nice to have a dress that can be paired with pretty much any other color. I've gotten tons of compliments on it and I love wearing my favorite fabrics, so I see lots of handmade clothes in my future!