The Kisses Quilt of Doom

Up until a few months ago, I had been fairly lucky in my quilting life. Some frustrating moments, but no huge failures. Until the Kisses Quilt of Doom.

It didn't start out as a quilt of doom. It started out as me consuming entirely too much modern art (I spend a lot of time on google images), combined with a new challenge from the Modern Quilt Guild and Michael Miller for the new Petal Pinwheels line of fabric. I'm a big fan of both Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein and have been wanting to try a pop art inspired quilt for a while, so I decided this was my opportunity. It started out well; I came up with a plan to cut one inch circles out of the fat quarters provided, after fusing them to some Heat 'n Bond.

Pile of fabric polka dots

I cut three lips outlines from some white fabric (again backed by Heat'n Bond) fused the little circles to those, then ironed the lips onto a larger piece of fabric. All was well, things were looking great!

Unfinished, Andy Warhol/Roy Lichtenstein quilt with lips and polka dots

And then...well, things went to hell in a handbasket pretty quickly. Turns out that all that Heat'n Bond made my fabric really, really thick, and I broke 4 needles just trying to get those things quilted. Not taking the hint, I decided to quilt diagonal lines a quarter inch apart...which halfway through I realized were bowing and turning more into half moons than straight lines.

This is where things really took a turn for the worse. I unpicked all those stitches and then, like a good quilter, marked my lines so I could sew them straight. Only, I failed to realize that I had grabbed my grease pencil meant for marking templates, and not my washable quilting pencil. So, see these nice black lines? Can you guess what didn't happen when I washed it?

Unfinished, Andy Warhol/Roy Lichtenstein quilt with lips and polka dots

Yep. They didn't come out. At all. I tried everything I could think of, and everything the internet suggested, but I still had a beautiful quilt with ugly grease marks on it.

I still had a week until the challenge due date, so I cried a little, then sucked it up and started over (and I got my Letterpress dress out of the dismantling process, so it wasn't all bad). This time I just appliquéd the lips, so the only part that had Heat'n Bond was the little dots. I marked the lines again, but this time with tailor's chalk, which I had tested on the fabric and had washed out great. Quilting went quickly and smoothly, and I was so happy to get it done with a few days to spare.

Well. I don't know what happened between the testing and finishing the quilting, but it happened again. The blue lines of the tailor's chalk had somehow soaked in to the fabric, and it didn't come off all the way when I washed it. I was left with another quilt, this one with faint blue lines. At this point I was really ready to just throw in the towel, but I can be just a little stubborn sometimes, and I was determined to finish this thing, somehow. I ended up using some light blue thread and a decorative stitch, and went back over the marks, to make it look like I did it on purpose. Once I started adding the blue, it didn't look like the wall hanging I'd been intending, and more of a cute baby quilt, so I cut it down to just two lips. Here's how it ended up:

Andy Warhol/Roy Lichtenstein wall hanging quilt with lips and polka dots

I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out, though I still get pretty frustrated when I look at it. I do think the blue adds an interesting texture and I still like my original idea, so I may try it again at some point (some point that is far, far in the future). I do love how cutting up the fabric made really interesting geometric patterns, and I like the bold colors.

Close up of Andy Warhol/Roy Lichtenstein quilt with lips and polka dots

I outlined the lips with an orange zig zag stitch, and the back is really cute:

Back of Andy Warhol/Roy Lichtenstein quilt with outlined lips

I might like it more than the front, although I suspect that's more my irritation talking than anything.

Close up of back of Andy Warhol/Roy Lichtenstein quilt with orange outlined lips

So there you have it: my first total quilting failure. I didn't win the contest, but I'm still proud of myself for finishing, and she's heading to be shown at our guild's exhibit at the Northwest Quilting Expo...where I hope no one will be able to tell how many mistakes are in this one!