Wine Cork Bulletin Board

A while ago my friend Destiny gave me a bunch of wine corks, which she had been saving but didn't have a reason to keep. I looked around for things to make from them, and we both really liked the idea of a bulletin board. You'll see about a thousand of these if you type it into Pinterest; I didn't use any particular tutorial as it's easy enough to wing on your own, but if decide to do this and you want some concrete steps, that's where I'd look! I started out with some thrifted frames (there are two of them because I'm making another one for a different friend of ours, but ran out of corks, so you'll only see one!), and some paint.

Thrift store picture frames before being painted

Now, I'm going to recommend that if you do this step, you spray paint it. I used regular craft paint and a paint brush, and while they turned out okay in the end, it was a lot more work than I'd been intending and took forever to dry. They also turned out a bit brighter than I wanted, but I think it still works.

Thrift store picture frames after being painted, one red, one yellow

Now, on to the corks! I knew starting out that I wanted to cut the them in half lengthwise, but it turns out that's a lot more difficult to do than I had assumed. After some false starts and a round of Googling, I decided to steam them to soften them up, so I filled a pot with a few inches of boiling water and set a strainer on top, with the lid over it (the lid is off for the purposes of the picture, but you'll need it, trust me).

Wine corks being steamed

I found that about 5 minutes was long enough to soften them; you should be able to cut them with a regular old kitchen knife at this point. Be careful, though! They'll be slippery after this step and you'll want to watch where your fingers are in relation to the knife. This pile was just enough for one cork board.

Wine corks cut in half

You'll also want to try to weed out the corks that are too short or too tall, since they'll make spacing more difficult. You can use the discarded ones to fill in any gaps at the end.

After all the corks were cut, I glued the back of the picture frame back on the front, arranged the corks in a pattern I liked, and glued them down with my hot glue gun. I'd advise arranging the pattern before you glue anything down, both for the sake of spacing and making sure you have enough corks. My pattern was really simple - I tried a bunch of fancier ones but they didn't fit as well, so I ended up just doing single lines all the way across. They didn't quite fit with whole corks all the way across, so I filled those gaps in with ones I'd cut in half (they should be very easy to cut with scissors after they've already been cut lengthwise). I think it turned out pretty well!

Finished wine cork bulletin board, frame painted yellow

I tried to make sure all the corks were facing the same direction, because it bothers me otherwise, but it doesn't particularly matter. It will be seen from a distance most of the time, and hopefully will have things pinned to it anyway. I would watch the amount of glue you squeeze out though - too much and you'll have a bunch of visible spots between the corks. This one will be going to it's new home this weekend, but I think I might just have to make another one for me!

Close up of wine cork bulletin board, frame painted yellow