I think I've mentioned this before, but my husband is notoriously difficult to buy presents for. His birthday was in November, and I was (as usual) having trouble finding something, when the idea of another sweater came up. Now, you may remember that I made him one before that took a very long time - it started out as a Boyfriend Sweater and ended up being a Husband Sweater (granted, we got married after dating for 11 months, but still). This time I was pretty determined to actually get it done on time...and then of course he liked one that featured colorwork as the main technique. Colorwork and I are not friends. I've attempted it before on a few occasions and have always put those projects aside. It just seemed so impossible to wrangle all those yarns at once, and things get tangled, and then you have those ugly floats one the back...ick. He really liked the pattern though, and it was only two colors, so I decided it was about time for a challenge and cast on. Not only was it done on time (okay, barely, but it was done!), I think I may have officially conquered my fear! May I present, the finished Husband Sweater #2.
The pattern is the Warwick Sweater by Sarah Hatton from Issue 76 of The Knitter magazine, which I found to be fairly easy to read and understand, although this magazine in general seems geared a bit toward somewhat experienced knitters; the directions assume that you understand most knitting terms and techniques. I've been knitting for quite a while and still have to look things up!
It took me probably until the end of the first piece (the front) to be pretty comfortable with how my tension was going - getting all those floats to be somewhat even takes a lot of practice. I still wasn't all the way sure that they were going to block out correctly, but I think they ended up being fairly even and not too loose or tight:
I continue to totally dislike how the yarn gets tangled and has to be constantly managed (if anyone has tips for that, please let me know!), but by the end I was getting pretty good at judging when those tangles could be left until the end of the row, and when they had to be worked out immediately. Overall though, it was a fun sweater to work on and fit well while piecing, and the shawl collar is really pretty.
I used tweed yarn for the first time, Berroco Blackstone Tweed in colors Steamers (the light brown) and Narragansett (the navy), and for the most part I felt pretty positive about it. The colors are beautiful and play well together (although I can't take credit for the colors since Kyle picked them out), and it's very soft to knit with. My only complaint is that it breaks really easily, which made seaming a bit of a trial, but that's hard to get away from with natural fibers. The only downside is that we've had a crazy mild winter here, so the sweater is a little too warm to wear most of the time! He's gotten to wear it a few times though, and January/February are usually our coldest months, so hopefully there will be a few more chances before spring hits, because I think he looks quite nice in it :).