A while ago, the Pop Tee was on sale at Anthropologie, and as I had been stalking it for quite a while, I was very excited. Unfortunately by the time I made it over to buy one, they were totally sold out. I was sad for about 5 minutes until I realized that this was an easy item to hack - all I needed was a t-shirt and some fabric. I dug out a white shirt that I wore maybe once (not a huge fan of white, I don't know if you could tell!) and some leftover fabric with lemons all over it (much more my speed).
It came out like this:
Now, I did not use a tutorial on this one, and I should have. After the fact, I googled around and found this one from Domestic Bliss Squared that seems pretty spot on and thorough, and I wish I'd used it! I kind of just guessed on the amount of fabric I needed, and how to put in a pleat...which I then realized I put inside out. Whoops! I basically eyeballed where I wanted the fabric to start (just under the sleeves), cut the shirt along this line, and then unpicked the side seams. I put in that inside out pleat to make the fabric match the length of the back of the shirt, then just sewed it along the three sides with a zig zag stitch, and hemmed the bottom edge to match. I made a little pocket and whip stitched it into place on the front (not a functional pocket, obviously, but I'm not sure I've ever actually used a chest pocket, so it didn't bother me).
The back creeps over into the front a bit, but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out. The only problem is that I never want to wear a sweater over it, so I haven't worn it since summer...but it will get quite a workout when warmer weather gets here!